Thursday, July 14, 2011

I'm FAT

The thing that I dreaded the most happened.

My son called me fat.

. . . we now interrupt your regularly scheduled blog with an important message . . .

*Now before you grab your pitchforks and torches just know that he is only 4 and didn't intend to hurt my feelings*

. . . now back to your regularly scheduled emotional breakdown already in progress . . .

It took everything I had not to cry. This is what I feared from the moment I found out I was pregnant.

When my son was born it was amazing. He was my heart and soul. He was everything I ever wanted. The one thing I wanted more than anything was to be a good mom. After he was born I knew I had to get healthy. I wanted to be healthy so that he would never know a fat mom. So that my healthy habits would be a cornerstone in our house and he would never be affected by my seriously unhealthy habits.

As most of you know, that didn't happen . . . until now.

Yes it hurt. It hurt because he was simply telling the truth. I am fat. There is no denying it.

BUT

I'm less fat then I was 5 months ago. I'm still working every second of every day to be healthier.

His comment would normally push me to cry and then . . . to eat. Guess what? I didn't eat! (or cry but the eating is the more important part) I quietly thought and worked out the comment and what it meant to me and my journey.

Want to know what it means?

Oh I'm so glad you asked. :o)

It means that I keep doing what I am doing . . . and one day down the road my son will look at me with his honest little face and he will say "Hey mom, remember when you used to be fat?" I will then give him the biggest bear hug in the entire world. :o)

3 comments:

TT said...

If it makes you feel better, Jocelyn referred to Scott as "a big fatty," the other day. Humorous as it was, we had no idea where she learned the word and quickly reprimanded her for telling him that.

I'm am so glad it didn't get you down. That's success. It's not about the number, but about learning to control yourself when your emotions get the best of you. You go girl.

Heather said...

Ugh! While that is heart-breaking, it can also be inspiring. And, it seems you have taken the high road and used the comment as a source of motivation! You've done so good so far - just keep it up! I have the exact same motivation. My son is only 9 months old, but I want to be a healthy mom!

LisaL said...

Boy, children don't hold back do they.
I'm glad that it inspired you rather than make you feel bad though.
You are doing amazing, and you are setting such a great example for your little guy by getting healthy :D